Building 45 accepts electronic submissions submitted through our online submission form. We do not accept hard copies of work.
There is no deadline for submissions. Building 45 publishes once a year: in June following the end of spring term.
TO SUBMIT TO BUILDING 45:
Fill out our online submission form for each submission. (Make sure to attach a file containing your work.) All submissions must be new, original, previously unpublished work.
Guidelines for Writers
(poetry, scripts, short fiction, novel excerpts, and non-fiction)
- Format: 12-point Times Roman font preferred. Poetry and scripts should be typed as they are to appear; all prose should be double-spaced.
- Heading: The author’s name should not appear on the work itself. The title of the work should appear on the first page.
- File types: Submit your work as a .docx or .doc file.
- Word limit: There is a 4000 word limit on all prose submissions. There is no line limit for poetry; however, poems of sixty lines or less are preferable.
Guidelines for Artists
(drawings, illustrations, photographs, and other visual media)
- File types: Submit your work as a .jpg file.
- File sizes: Please limit the file size to 3MB or less.
Guidelines for Multimedia Artists
(music, video, other multimedia)
- File types: Submit your work as one of the following: .mp3, .mov, .mp4, .mpg
- File sizes: Please use the online submission form for any files up to 8MB. If the file is larger than 8MB, feel free to contact the managing editor to make other submission arrangements.
All submissions will be evaluated by the Building 45 editorial board. The editors can only accept a limited number of submissions. Acceptance and rejection notifications will be sent via email. Upon acceptance, authors and artists will be asked to sign a publication agreement and provide a brief bio. Authors may be asked to make a half-hour appointment at the Chemeketa Writing Center with one of the faculty editors in order to discuss revising the work for publication.
ELIGIBILITY AND RIGHTS:
Building 45 is dedicated to showcasing the work of current and former Chemeketa Community College students. Students do not need to be currently enrolled in a creative writing or visual communications class to submit. Submitting artists and photographers are responsible for acquiring model releases.
Building 45 reserves editorial control of all material submitted and protects all rights. Building 45 acquires exclusive first-time Internet rights for all works we publish. Works are also archived online. Authors and artists retain all other rights to the material, including the right to publish in print form.
Building 45 reserves the right to use published excerpts and images in printed and electronic promotional materials.